Sunday, August 3, 2008

Camp Ondessonk! Heepwah!

So yesterday I got back from Camp Ondessonk. I had so much fun! The name of my unit was Lalemant and our color was orange. The theme of the week was space, so our unit became the empire from Star Wars. Since Lalemant had won the golden arrowhead (ultimate prize of camp that you work for all week) for the last two weeks, we were the empire strikes back, because we were planning to win it again. It was cool because we had basically no little kids in our unit and any of the younger kids were tall, so we were by far the toughest unit. Anyway, I think I'm just going to list everything we did by day.
  • Sunday: I passed my advance swimming test, as always. The Bishop came to mass for the first time at Camp Ondessonk so that was a big deal. The opening campfire was, of course, a lot of fun and very entertaining.
  • Monday: We went on our all-day hike. Our first stop was Durbin's Barn, an old barn given to camp by the Durbin's who used to live there, but when they got older, they gave all their land to camp for free. We went to Pakentuk; lower, which is a big muddy lake, and upper, which is a rocky cliff with a little water hole thing. Also Poseidon's Theater, which was a bunch of rocks and water. Not sure how to explain it, but it was fun. We got first in inspection that night. Also that night was our unit campfire, and I roasted some delicious marshmallows. :]
  • Tuesday: Archery- one of my favorite activities, I'm very good at it; horseback riding- I rode a horse named Missy; handicrafts; council- you get to learn about the north american martyrs and other people the units are named after; boating; I think riflery but I don't remember for sure. The Tuesday Night Game was okay. I really think we should have placed, but all of the guy units always cheat.
  • Wednesday: Riflery; Handicrafts; we got rained out of boating. We went on our overnight, but at first we didn't go all the way out to our spot, just to a unit near it, so that we could wait to see if it would rain. At the unit we stopped at we made our foil burgers (best meal EVER). It did rain, so we went to our designated rain spot which was at the trading post, which has a roof. We still got a little wet, but it was so much fun!
  • Thursday: Swimming; horseback riding- I rode a horse named Kacie; woodsmanship-survival skills; unit improvement- we have to do a project to help improve our unit; archery. At lunch that day we led prayer (each unit has to make a prayer and say it at a meal) and we ended up winning that at the end of the week. Our prayer was to the imperial march from Star Wars (since we were the empire) and it was very funny. That night was the Lodge ceremony, which I got to help out with since I am a member of Lodge. My best friend Lillian, who was unfortunately in a different unit, was nominated and got into Lodge, so I was really excited and proud of her.
  • Friday: Swimming; optional- free time. Marathon is always on Friday. I did a running even near the pastures and barn, and I did really good. We got 3rd in marathon, which is excellent. After marathon was tug-of-war, which we dominated in, being the biggest girls. We got second, because on the last round we were on a side with mud and started to slip, and we lost to the biggest guy unit. But, the first half of that round we had pulled them pretty far; girls can beat guys at tug because of our butts and thighs. :P Haha. Anyway that night was the closing campfire, where we performed our skit. Our skit was really funny (we rewrote words to a Tenacious D song), but unfortunately we didn't place for golden arrowhead points.
  • Saturday: We had to leave. It was very sad. =( BUT WE WON THE GOLDEN ARROWHEAD!!! MY SECOND YEAR IN A ROW!!! HEEPWAH!!!

I made a lot of great friends at camp. The week was amazing, and I teared up a lot on Friday and Saturday because I didn't want to leave. I'm trying to adjust at home now; mostly it's the air conditioning. I mean, I'm freezing! Haha. Next year I'm going to go as a C.I.T. for 2 weeks (counselour in training) and hopefully I can go as a camper for a week too, because it will be my last year to be able to go as a camper. I really love camp. :]

No comments: